Things to do in Basalt, CO
Aspen is located in the heart of the Roaring Fork Valley. Downtown Basalt is positioned at the confluence of 2 Gold Medal Fishing rivers and is a quaint town with locally owned galleries, clothing shops, and restaurants. Enjoy a stroll through town, drive up the beautiful Frying Pan River to Ruedi Reservoir, or explore our list of the best things to do in Basalt, CO below. Don’t forget to check out our seasonal pages for our recommended winter and summer-specific activities.
Proud Member of the Basalt Chamber of Commerce.
Recharge this weekend
Awaken your senses in the thriving outdoors of Basalt. Plan your Colorado adventure now with our guide to the top activities you will not want to miss out on during your stay.
Terms & Conditions
© 2017 Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, Inc
- Willits Town Center - Element Basalt – Aspen is located in the heart of the Willits Town Center, offering first-rate dining, unique retail and fun events.
- Historic Basalt Shopping - Explore a variety of locally owned galleries, clothing shops, and outdoors stores in downtown Historic Basalt.
- Carbondale, CO – Explore the picturesque town of Carbondale and enjoy the many trails for hiking and biking, gold medal fly fishing, music, movies and rodeo events, shopping, dining and more.
- Redstone, CO – Visit the castle, enjoy the hot springs and enjoy all of the other outdoor recreation activities of hiking, biking, horseback riding, fly fishing and more found throughout the valley.
- Aspen, CO – Discover Aspen’s many treasures from renowned dining and shopping, historical walking tours, the art museum, skiing, events and more. Aspen has something for everyone.
- Crown Mountain Park - This multi-season park offers year-round tennis, BMX trails throughout spring, summer and fall and X-Country ski tracks in the winter.
- Rio Grande Trail - Discover more than 42 miles of trails between Glenwood Springs and Aspen. Go for a short walk or plan a hike, bike, skate, ride or cross-country ski (wheelchair accessible).
- Roaring Fork River - Anglers and fly fishing enthusiasts will love this river, located just a mile from the hotel. The river spans 70 miles and also offers whitewater rafting.
- Fryingpan River - Known for rainbow, brook, and brown trout fishing, you'll be able to try your hand in these waters year-round.
- Rock Bottom Ranch - Tour this environmental center year-round, and walk the nature trails, tour the farmyard, and meet a number of animals including livestock.
- Glenwood Hot Springs - 20 miles from the hotel you'll find this hot springs oasis, which has been open to the public since 1888.
- Belly Up Aspen - Live music venue in Aspen featuring concerts and events from the biggest and best in the entertainment industry.
- Maroon-Bells - The most photographed mountains in North America, accessible by car, RFTA or hike in the summer, cross-country ski or snowmobile in winter.
- Fly Fishing – Fly fishing is a favorite in the Aspen area and Basalt is no exception. There are a number of areas easily accessible to the hotel, year-round. The Roaring Fork River spans 70 miles and is located just a mile away from our hotel. The Fryingpan River is also a top destination for fly fishing in Colorado, known for its Rainbow, Brook, and Brown trout.
- Golfing - Hit the links for a round of golf at one of the local public courses including Aspen Municipal Golf Course, River Valley Ranch Golf Club, and Ranch at Roaring Fork.
- Hiking- Basalt attracts hikers from all over the world to its famous trails including the 42-mile Rio Grande Trail. Its path winds around the Roaring Fork River, and if you're lucky you may even catch a glimpse of a bald eagle.
- Farmer’s Markets – Find the freshest produce in the region on Sundays. Spring, summer, and fall visit Old Town Basalt and in the winter, Eagle Crest Nursery in El Jebel.
- Woody Creek Distillers - Visit this distillery Tuesday - Saturday from 2 - 8 PM, located just one mile from our hotel. Every ingredient in Woody Creek's spirits is home grown on their farm.
- Skiing & Snowboarding - The Aspen Snowmass area is home to over 5,000 acres of skiable terrain. Take your pick from 330 marked trails and 42 lifts, all ranging from beginner to expert levels of difficulty.
- Belly Up Aspen
- City of Aspen
- City of Carbondale
- City of Redstone
- Crown Mountain Park
- Frying Pan River
- Glenwood Hot Springs
- Historic Basalt Shopping
- Maroon Bells
- Penny Hot Springs
- Rio Grande Trail
- Roaring Fork Club
- Roaring Fork River
- Rock Bottom Ranch
- Willis Town Center
- Woody Creek Distillers